Choosing a hot water system for your home can be overwhelming. There are so many factors to think about, like storage, house wiring, and consumption.
When deciding which hot water system to choose, it’s essential to work with a licensed electrician to ensure a safe and proper installation.
In this article, we’ll talk about these points:
- Electric hot water systems are the most common and affordable option compared to gas, solar, and heat pump types.
- Installation costs for electric hot water systems range from $1,000 to $3,000, depending on different factors like labour.
- Water heating consumes about 15% to 27% of household energy use, and electric hot water systems can make up about 30% of a home’s electricity bill.
- It is recommended to work with a licensed electrician to install or replace hot water systems for safety reasons and to avoid warranty issues.
What type of hot water system is best?
The most common and preferred type of hot water system is electric-powered because it’s easy to install and doesn’t require any plumbing work. Electric hot water systems also don’t need much energy, making them cheaper to use and maintain. It’s the most affordable option in the market.
Hot water systems are usually either storage-based, which means stored water is heated in a tank, ready at all times, or instantaneous and heated only when the tap runs.
Gas, Solar, and Heat pump are the three other types of water heaters. Gas hot water systems use a gas burner and are very popular in new homes. Because it’s instantaneous and heats water only as it flows from the tap, it’s also an energy-efficient option.
Solar hot water systems are a more eco-friendly option because they use free energy from the sun to heat water. It requires solar panels on the roof to work. However, the catch is that once the sun sets, it will go back to using either electricity or gas to operate.
Last but not least are heat pump water systems. You could compare it to your typical big appliances like a fridge. It works by extracting heat from the air and transferring it to water. Heat pump water systems are more expensive to operate and install than the other types.
Costs of installing a new electric hot water system
Installing a new electric hot water system could cost anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000. Our estimate includes labour costs, materials, fittings, and sometimes the actual unit itself. Upgrades, repairs, or repositioning will cost more.
The installation costs vary depending on different factors such as:
- Labour and materials: Costs of labour with the licensed electrician and plumber, as well as the type or brand of materials you’ll use for the installation;
- The tank size if you opt for a storage-based hot water system. The tank size will depend on your average water usage or the size of your household;
- The existing wiring system in your property plays a factor, too, especially if there are extra wires or power cables that need to be installed;
- For replacements or upgrades, the costs of disposal of your old hot water system.
When it comes to replacements, costs range from $300 to $800 for a simple change-out.
Do hot water systems use a lot of electricity?
Water heating consumption makes up about 15% to 27% of household energy use and is Australia’s second-largest household energy consumption segment.
Electric hot water systems can make up about 30% of a home’s electricity bill, but there are many ways to save on energy. If you only shower in the morning, you can switch off your hot water system when not in use. Keeping it turned off for up to 18 hours daily can save electricity use by up to 20%. There are also electric hot water units with timers available in Australia that you can use to manage consumption without thinking about it regularly.
Work with a licensed electrician
Installing or replacing your hot water system should be done with a professional electrician. You don’t want to risk your safety by doing it yourself, and you certainly don’t want to risk voiding your warranty if something goes wrong with your new system.
When looking for an electrician, always check their references, inquire about their experience working with hot water systems, and ask about their certifications.
Choose someone who’s licensed, experienced, and reliable from STL Electrical. We’ll walk you through the installation process and work with you to find the best hot water system for your home. We’ll give you an upfront cost estimate and quotation, so you know exactly what’s involved in installing an electric hot water system in your house or commercial space.
We’re Melbourne-based electricians and are available 24/7 for any electrical work. Check out our complete list of serviceable areas. Call us for a free consultation!